Better Health. Best Practice. Exceptional Leaders.
What is MT CAHN
MT CAHN is the official state action coalition of the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action; it was formed by state coalition co-leads Casey Blumenthal, Vice President, MHA...An Association of Montana Health Care Providers and Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director of the Montana Board of Nursing.
The Montana Center to Advance Health through Nursing (MT CAHN) was formed in response to the October 2010 Institute of Medicine report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
The IOM report's recommendations are being brought to life through the work of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and AARP Center to Champion Nursing's Initiative on the Future of Nursing, which formed the current Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action. MT CAHN was named an official state Action Coalition for this initiative in September, 2011.
Leading nursing practice through collaboration to advance the health of Montanans.
MT CAHN includes nearly 175 individuals participating in teleconferences throughout the 2010-2011. CAHN is governed by an initial steering committee, whose members represent the array of nursing's presence in Montana. Fiscal oversight is provided by the Montana Health Research and Education Foundation (MHREF), housed within MHA...An Association of MT Health Care Providers.
Work to date has included:
- Statewide introduction and education on the Initiative on the Future of Nursing
- Development of a statewide structure for collaboration and inclusion of interested stakeholders
- The formation and progression of workgroups to lead, plan and implement Center and Council strategies
- Identification of data and information needed to implement IOM recommendations
- Attendance at an RWJF Connect event in Washington, D.C. to meet with the Montana congressional delegation on the Future of Nursing Initiative
- Completion of a strategic planning retreat process resulting in clear organizational objectives and a 12-month strategic plan and budget
- Development of an application to be formally recognized as a state nursing workforce data center within the National Forum of State Nursing Workforce Centers
- Acceptance as an RWJF Action Coalition to receive technical assistance under the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action
- Securing in-kind resources of over $70,000 to be utilized for Center strategy implementation
MT CAHN Workgroups:
MT Council for Nursing Leadership Development- Educational activities to develop nurse leaders from the bedside to the boardroom
MT Council for Nursing Workforce Data- Consistent collection & analysis to meet supply & demand
MT Council for Nursing Education- Statewide master plan, innovative models, degree recognition in practice
MT Council for Nursing Transition to Practice- Education for nurses for improved quality and retention, specific to rural practice